Do You Need A Plumber In Denham Springs?
First of all you will find many small plumbing jobs can be done by the homeowner. Also some small jobs can turn out to be big jobs if they are not handled right the first time around. You need to know when it is time to call a plumber instead of trying to fix it for the 3rd time around. You can make an easy job turn into an expensive job with one little mistake. Read all about my mistake below.
My Personal Plumbing Story
As the author of this article I have changed a hard rubber pipe going to my icemaker with the wrong type of rubber or plastic. I did the job right with one exception, I used the wrong type of rubber pipe. This pipe slowly expanded slowly over time, about 2 months and then it turned into a small balloon and burst. Water went all over the kitchen and started into the living room before I got it turned off. If I was not home at the time the whole house would have been flooded.
Both rubber pipes looked the exact same but one was just slightly softer then the other. That is why it took 2 months for it to have a blowout leak. A professional Denham Springs plumber would have gotten it right the 1st time around.
So with this said, lets get on with the rest of the story. Next, know where the water shutoff is. Good thing I knew for the leak I had above!!!
Know How To Shut Off Water To Your House
This could be one of the most important things that you need to know about your house which could save you a lot of time and money. Make sure you know where your “home’s water shutoff is located”. You never know when there might be an emergency involving a broken pipe or damaged connection that requires you to turn off the water right away. In addition, knowing where the shutoff is located is vital before you start any plumbing project, in case anything goes wrong.
Shut off the water if a pipe ever freezes. This will keep the pipe from bursting and causing you major damage to your home. Make sure to shut the water off at the main valve, and then open the faucet that is closest to the frozen pipe so it can drain while it is thawing out.
These Tips May Help You Avoid A Big Expense
- Avoid using hard cleaners on your toilets, such as drop-in cleaner tabs in the tank. When these tabs are almost completely dissolved, what’s left of the tab gets washed into the bowl. This can then end up clogging the toilet’s port holes, preventing the toilet from flushing properly. It can take months for this debris to finish dissolving in those holes.
- Taking preemptive action to fix a strange smelling kitchen sink can be a good way to keep your kitchen smelling great. Make sure not to throw hair or grease into your sink. If you have a strange smell coming from your drain, use baking soda. If you have one to grind up any food and use water while doing this to prevent damage to the blades of the garbage disposal, make sure you use your garbage disposal.
- You most likely have a blockage somewhere if water is not coming to the dishwasher. You will need to turn off the water supply and remove the hose that leads to the dishwasher. After securing the hose, turn the water back on. See if it feeds into a bowl. If not, then you must find the block where it is at which may include removing more piping.
- Clean your dryer’s lint trap. This will save a ton of trouble for you, it will also prevent fires. Regularly check your lint trap for rips or holes which could let lint escape into your cause and pipes clogging.
- If you are trying to decide on the material to use for your hose, stick with stainless steel. Stainless steel has a very solid construction and stays durable for many years, eliminating the need for replacement. Also, this material is less prone to bursting, which can yield severe plumbing issues.
Wintertime Maintenance For The Homeowner
You need to insulate any pipes have exposure to outside elements to avoid them freezing. You should also keep the temperature in the home above freezing to avoid your pipes freezing. If the surrounding temperatures are below the freezing mark, pipes have the potential to freeze. It can take a while for the pipes to thaw, which means you will not be able to run water for quite some time. However, frozen pipes often burst, causing damage to your home and a hefty repair bill.
Your water heater works more during the fall and winter so make sure that you eliminate all sediment buildup around this piece of equipment. Flushing this device can lead to increased longevity so that you do not face plumbing problems during the winter. This precaution will save time, money and effort.
You need to make sure to shut off the water if a pipe ever freezes. This will keep the pipe from causing and bursting you major damage to your home. Make sure to shut the water off at the main valve, and then open the faucet that is closest to the frozen pipe so it can drain while it is thawing out.
When To Hire A Plumber In Denham Springs
How much do you understand about plumbing? Are there areas where your knowledge could expand if you answered yes? What plumbing skills do you already have? If you are not confident about your responses to these questions, read the advice below and/or call a professional plumber.
Don’t be afraid to call a professional. If you aren’t sure how to fix them, don’t take on jobs to save money. Calling a professional plumber saves you money, the experience and know-how can fix your problem sooner and with less fuss.
Never hire a plumber that is not licensed, insured and bonded. If the plumbing company cannot provide you with reference numbers for their credentials, move on quickly. It is a common question and it should be a no-brainer for them to provide them to you. Take that as a big red flag if they have issues with you asking.
Before scheduling a plumber to come out, group all of your plumbing repairs. Check all of your fixtures and faucets. If anything is dripping, running or clogged, make a list for the plumber. That way, when the plumber comes, they can do all of the jobs in one visit. This will cut down on charges.
When having a consultation about a job with the plumber, take the opportunity to get to know them and their business better. Ask about their experience with the type of job that you are wanting to have done. Being comfortable with your contractor is important. They may be spending significant amounts of time in your house depending on the complexity of the job. You want to be convinced that they’re up to the task.
Sometimes you have to make the choice between replacing or repairing. That uses a lot of water or electricity, it may be best to replace, if you have an old appliance. Sure, it will cost more initially, but it will save you money in the long run. The other thing is, you can’t be sure how well a repair will work out, whereas with a new appliance you’ll at least get a guarantee.
Do You Need A Plumber In Denham Springs? I Hope This Article Helps
In conclusion, plumbing is a skill that you should know about – plain and simple. It is something that you will always be able to use and you may be able to save yourself a lot of money and frustration in the future. Hopefully this article was beneficial to you and others in Livingston Parish. There are many small plumbing jobs a homeowner can handle themselves but you also need to know when to call a professional plumber in Denham Springs. In the long run they may end up saving you some time, money, and frustration.